Sunday, 9 November 2014

A thought about respect

Maybe it's the way I've been brought up, but I was taught to observe the two minutes silence on Remembrance Sunday without question.

For those of you who read my blog overseas it is held on November 11th, or the closest Sunday in the weeks surrounding it.  This date marks the end of the First World War: 11 o'clock in the morning, on Sunday 11th November 1918.  It is traditionally commemorated with a two minutes silence at 11am.

It isn't lame or "uncool" to take two minutes out of your day to think about those who gave their lives so you could have the freedom we all probably take for granted.  I personally think about my granddad; he fought in the Second World War, survived, and went on to be the best male role model I could have wished for when I was growing up.

Today I observed grown-ass adults, old enough to know better, belittle the commemoration during the two minutes of silence.  I'm not saying everyone must hold the same values as I do, but don't we live in a society that is meant to respect others, respect their beliefs and respect what they hold dear?

I'm sure the vast majority of the country did stop at 11am today, but those few so involved in their own lives make me lose a bit of faith in humanity, really.

* I have no problem with people who just forgot; it is easily done if you're not out in public.  It's the flagrant disregard for other people and the millions of people who've given their lives in conflicts old and new. 
post signature


No comments:

Post a Comment



blogger template by lovebird