Saturday, 15 November 2014

Edinburgh

I'm the sort of person who always thinks of a million crazy adventures, but never sees them through for stupidly practical reasons like money, time and my need for 8 hours sleep every night.  However this Sunday I did something, (maybe not totally crazy, but crazy for me), and booked impromptu flights to Edinburgh.

The last six months in Norwich has felt a little suffocating.  Those of you who watch my YouTube channel will know I just started studying Psychology alongside working five days a week.  It's great to feel like I'm working towards something again as stagnation is one of my worst fears, but everything in my life happens in this small city which feels like it's miles away from anywhere else.

I'm not really one for travelling for months at a time; I like my home comforts and knowing I have my own little space to enjoy nothing but my own solitude, (because I'm actually very antisocial and could never share a room with anyone but a partner!).  Short trips away are definitely more in my comfort zone, and the notion that I might get away for even a couple of days filled me with so much excitement it was a bit silly. 

On Tuesday morning at 2:45 am I trundled off down my road, little weekend suitcase in tow, to the bus station.   My flight out of Stansted airport left at 7:55 am, which meant that I would arrive in Edinburgh before 8 am and have the whole day ahead of me.  Side note: Stansted security was the busiest I've ever seen it...at 6 am! 

The sunrise from the plane window before take off.
One thing you may not know about me is that I get terribly stressed out about air travel.  I'm not sure what it is; you could ask me to get the train from London to Edinburgh or drive and I would take it all in my stride, but a combination of the close confinement with other people and the lack of control when flying really bothers me.

Glorious space!  There was hardly anyone on my flight in the end. :)
I won't bore you with every activity I got up to, but I packed a lot into that first day.  I explored the city centre, visited some museums and climbed up a really big hill.  I'm not entirely sure how I managed it because I was absolutely dead on my feet by the time I reached the city centre at 9 am.

The geography around the city is amazing!
By the time I went to bed that evening I had been awake for 21 hours.  This might not seem like a big deal for some of you, but it is normally impossible for me to function like a normal human being for any length of time without sleep.

...and I'm in love!
 I flew home on Wednesday evening, and after another coach journey back to Norwich was in my own bed by 11:30 pm.  It was all a bit of a whirlwind, but I'm so glad I did something a bit out of my comfort zone as I've now fallen in love with a brand new city.  The thing I love most is the geography of the place; the entire streets built on bridges, the castle perched on top of an extinct volcano and the way it all looks lit up at night.  It's the most three dimensional place I've ever been, something which just does not come across in the photos at all, it really needs to be seen in person to be appreciated.

#Standard Harry Potter geek. 
...And now I really want to move to Edinburgh. ;)
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment



blogger template by lovebird